Sunrise on the Maumee

Sunrise on the Maumee

Sunday, December 18, 2016

Bird Invaders


The last few years I wait to put out my seed feeders until the first snow fall - in an attempt to keep the sparrows away.  
I have been feeding a little over a week now and have enjoyed seeing the Titmice, Woodpeckers, Cardinals and Chickadees.


Two days ago a flock of what I carelessly thought were Starlings drained the feeders in 2 hours - ugh.
My friend Cathy was good enough to consult her birding friends for help and on their advice I switched to perch feeders. 
Unfortunately, most of the birds perched just fine.
On closer inspection today, I noticed that this is a mixed flock - with very few Starlings.





There are Red-winged Blackbirds.


And Cowbirds



And Grackles.  
I didn't know the Red-winged Blackbirds and Cowbirds stayed during the winter, but they do.
I didn't put out seed yesterday, but with the temperatures dropping, today I relented.
Besides, they all seemed much more beautiful in the sunshine.


No comments:

Post a Comment