Sunrise on the Maumee

Sunrise on the Maumee

Monday, August 19, 2013

Passing Generations


My father was the oldest of my grandmother's eight children.  Uncle Philip was the next oldest.  He died last week after 82 full years.  I miss him, and in mourning him, I mourn again my father's passing - and the eventual passing of a generation.


Uncle Phil with his daughter Mary Lou and first wife Rose Marie around 1983.


Uncle Philip on his tractor at the tree farm.  

He possessed the traits of many McRurys- a love of machinery, a knack for tinkering, restlessness, hard work, frugalness, persistence, and the gift of gab.


Jim, Dee, Bill and Dan at the visitation Sunday evening.


Sarah, Suzanne, and Katie


A recently found photograph of my father, just after High School graduation in his Army uniform. 

The brothers bore a striking resemblance to each other and had many of the same mannerisms.


Katie, Dan, Sarah, Bill, Cindy, Suzanne and Deb - just before the funeral mass.


We'll miss you, Uncle Phil.

1 comment:

  1. A bittersweet look at life. The photo of your handsome dad . . . sweet-faced Uncle Phil. Good people, gone. How we miss them.

    The sweet, smiling faces of a younger generation.

    I'm alone on the hill in Loudonville tonight. Beloved ancestors all below me in the town cemeteries. The full moon rising above the field is the same one that stirred their hearts on a late summer night.

    ReplyDelete