Sunrise on the Maumee

Sunrise on the Maumee

Saturday, June 20, 2015

The Bishop's House



The Toledo Day Nursery had their garden tour today in the Old West End.  I was posted to the garden at the Bishop's house.  
I only had my phone camera and with the cloudy skies, the garden was difficult to capture.  There is no access from the street so it is a wonderful secret oasis behind the cathedral.


I haven't been inside the cathedral for over twenty years and couldn't resist a peak.


Volunteers from the parish were there and mentioned the cathedral has recently been voted the most beautiful in Ohio.  Tours are available upon request.


The building was begun in 1925.  It took four years to build the walls but the cathedral wasn't completely finished until 1941.


After my shift was over I walked through the rest of the gardens.  As I crossed Monroe Street to return to Glenwood Lutheran Church and my car I came across this marker on the grounds of the Art Museum.


Who knew?!  And why is the marker where it is?

1 comment:

  1. I've never been in that cathedral. How could I have missed this? And that business about the first official girl scout council is truly - a wonderment :)

    ReplyDelete