Sunrise on the Maumee

Sunrise on the Maumee

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Damsels and Dragons and Unicorns



Monday mornings are extra monitoring days.  We go to places that aren't monitored on a regular schedule.
This past Monday I mistakenly went back to Blue Creek (instead of Wiregrass Lake - which used to be named Bumpus Pond - confusing!).  
I took advantage of the mistake by taking a walk on the trail there, which goes along a ditch, small ponds and meadows.
The damselfly above is a female Ebony Jewelwing - a damselfly.  Below is the male.





There is a healthy population of Common Milkweed in the meadow.  It is just starting to bloom and should attract butterflies.  I'll try and get back to see them.


I had to send this photo in to Bugguide.com.  Apparently, a female or immature Meadowhawk is as detailed an identification as can be made.  Meadowhawks are dragonflies.


This is a Unicorn Clubtail - another dragonfly.  
I spotted him on Seigert Lake in Sidecut Metropark after stopping by on my way home.


American Water Willow - was blooming nearby.


1 comment: