Sunrise on the Maumee

Sunrise on the Maumee

Monday, May 29, 2017

Memorial Day



It has been a cool, wet spring and the garden is very happy - especially the wetland plants around the patio: 
Great Blue Lobelia, Swamp Milkweed, Joe-Pye Weed, Cardinal Flower and Royal Catchfly have filled in every last free inch.
Three of my favorite non-natives are already blooming patriotic colors in time for Memorial Day:
Clematis, Siberian Iris and Coral Bells.


The Indigo and the Peony are blooming profusely as well.


The hummingbirds were a little late arriving, but I was tickled seeing them take some cotton.  It's the first time I've put a nesting ball out.  It has also attracted Chickadees and Goldfinch.

A Morning Dove couple has set up housekeeping in the Wisteria on the screened in porch.  They frequent the baths and forage under the thistle feeder.  
A Cardinal couple has recently started building a nest in the Wisteria as well.  So far they seem to be good interspecies neighbors.  
Fingers crossed that the Chipmunks don't find the nests, like they did the Robin's nest last year.





2 comments:

  1. Darned chipmunks! I had to close most of my feeders when they came out. I miss seeing the Rose-breasted Grosbeaks every day. Your garden is truly a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It gives me great solace.

    ReplyDelete