Sunrise on the Maumee

Sunrise on the Maumee

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Critter Control


Raising plants for food is something people in my family have been doing for generations.  I have done the same since moving to this house over 20 years ago.  


It is a battle against all form of critters - chipmunks, wood chucks, deer and rabbits are the primary vegetable chomping culprits.

Here is my latest attempt to thwart the villains.
The glass cloche was originally purchased to nurse tender seedlings during the cold weeks of spring.  I have found that it also keeps the chipmunks from digging around in my newly planted green beans until they are big enough to withstand the disturbance.


I have high hopes that my cucumbers will grow unmolested this year.  This is a first for my chicken wire contraption.  The chipmunks can still dig under the barrier, but if my guess is right, it has always been the baby woodchucks who favor the tender vines.

Fingers crossed.


1 comment:

  1. Oh! Wow, I didn't know you'd done so much cultivating, planting and critter defense! Nothing more satisfying than two cotyledon leaves.
    ;)


    ;



    ReplyDelete