Sunrise on the Maumee

Sunrise on the Maumee

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Spring on the Dunes



We monitored Bird foot Violet and Lyre-leaved Rock Cress yesterday in and around Ostrich Barrens.  The lupine were at their peak, just in time for Blue Week.  A few birders were lingering around from the Biggest Week in American Birding.  They were likely looking for Lark Sparrows and Red headed Woodpeckers that have recently moved into areas opened up by the tornado several years ago.  Even though it was cool, the sun warmed us as we strolled.


We record our data digitally on an iPad.  I am one of two who do not begrudge the task.  Normally it interferes with appreciating the surroundings - one's nose is always on the screen, recording an inordinate amount of information required in the name of Science.  But yesterday, because we limited our documentation to two species, I had plenty of time to loaf.  I sat down to photograph one of my favorite Spring flowers - the aptly named Pussy Toes.  I saw the insect and thought it was an ant.  I now believe it is a spider.  What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment