Sunrise on the Maumee

Sunrise on the Maumee

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Laboring Hands



     A relative recently gave me this photo, taken in 1907.  The young man to the right is my maternal great grandfather, Henry Keyes.  I had previously seen only photos of him as an old man.  It is striking how much father and son looked alike when young, but not, I think, as old men.
     The young woman to the left is Mrs. Henry Keyes, Eunice.  She is standing next to her parents, Madison and Martha Dennis.  The infant is Catherine Keyes, the first child of Eunice and Henry.  She is my grandfather's older sister and only sibling.  She is held by her paternal grandmother and the bearded gentleman is her paternal  grandfather. 
     The Keyes family emigrated from Dublin, Ireland.  Both father and sons (and grandson) were farmers in Delta, Ohio.  When I showed Dan the photo, the first thing he mentioned was how impressed he was with their hands - clearly hands that had done hard work.

  

1 comment:

  1. OMG.
    What a wonderful portrait.
    Love Dan's observation.
    What would you give to be able to step into that picture and visit . . . ?

    ReplyDelete