Sunrise on the Maumee

Sunrise on the Maumee

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Curious Nuthatch


Curious as in "exciting attention as strange, novel, or unexpected".  
This little fellow was sitting in this position one recent early morning for over 20 minutes.  I knew he wasn't dead, because I could see him blinking.  I became concerned that he was frozen to the mesh (it was around 20 degrees), so I went outside to investigate.  He just sat there blinking as I slowly approached.  He finally flew when I was about two feet away.  
He is a White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis). 

1 comment:

  1. That seems really unusual. Yes, curious. I imagine the persons participating in the forum at the local BirdChat at Rarebird.org would be happy to weigh in.

    http://rarebird.org/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=18&title=bird-chat

    ReplyDelete