Sunrise on the Maumee

Sunrise on the Maumee

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Peak at the Past


     My mom had a couple of strokes last fall.  She is better except for the permanent loss of 25% of her vision and because of this cannot drive.  She has been going through her things for the past few months, trying to get rid of as much as possible so she can more easily move into an apartment with senior services.
     She found this forgotten photograph, dated April 1960, during her sorting. Dad must have taken it. Mom was 25 years old here, with three children.  She is folding my brother James' cloth diapers.  She looks so young and happy. 
     I remember everything about that kitchen.  I lived in that house with my parents and four siblings from the time I was born (2 years later) until I moved away to medical school. It's hard to believe we all fit in that house, but it never seemed cramped to me.

1 comment:

  1. " She looks so young and happy.'
    That started the tears welling up.
    I've spent time with my almost 90 Mom.
    Things are crumbling.
    I'll stop by tomorrow on my way north.
    I wish I could say I'm looking forward to it . .

    Those humble houses we grew up in -
    we didn't know they weren't mansions.

    ReplyDelete